Enterprise Tech

First IRC Meeting for Pandora FMS GSoC 2012 project.

April 27, 2012

First IRC Meeting for Pandora FMS GSoC 2012 project.

It’s exciting to work with new guys at the project, and the first time we coordinate something like this using IRC. Here are the meeting topics for this first meeting:

[18:08] <slerena> so, this is our first meeting ! :)
[18:09] <slerena> I think both santi, and mark have contacted with you mentor, right ?.
[18:09] <SantiMunin> Hi
[18:09] <slerena> Hi Santi
[18:09] <SantiMunin> i’m here!
[18:09] <slerena> Sorry again for the delay, I got a problem with my agenda and UTC time and warn me 1hr late :(
[18:09] <SantiMunin> no problem
[18:09] <slerena> I was telling the rest of the people I think both santi, and mark have contacted with you mentor, right ?.
[18:09] <SantiMunin> sure
[18:09] <mark_h> slerena: yes me and sergio are in contact
[18:10] <SantiMunin> miguel and me too
[18:10] <slerena> great, the first step, in the next week, it’s to discuss with your mentros the goal of the project
[18:10] <slerena> point by point, and most important at all, PRIORIZE each point
[18:10] <SantiMunin> cool :D
[18:11] <slerena> so we can reach some objetives at the end, if we found problems (believe me, we will found) at least, have done the most important points
[18:11] <mark_h> Yes I’m awaiting Sergios evaluation of my ideas in case some aren’t of interest
[18:11] <slerena> hareesh, I will be your mentor
[18:11] <Hareesh> yeah.
[18:11] <Hareesh> :D
[18:11] <Hareesh> I also have some doubts and things to clarify
[18:11] <SantiMunin> nice i will discuss with miguel through this next week
[18:12] <slerena> our project it’s completely new, we don’t have anything developed in firefox or chrome, but we take some code from other project for other small tool we did for goliat
[18:12] <slerena> (thats a long store)
[18:12] <slerena> so I have some ideas of how works the technology under firefox extensions (javascript)
[18:12] <slerena> and we define on a very brief basis, the concept of the extension
[18:12] <slerena> my idea is to focus the approach of the project next two weeks
[18:12] <Hareesh> yeah. those will be helpful for me too. :)
[18:13] <Hareesh> yeah. sure.
[18:13] <slerena> so, hasesh, send me by email the first approach you send initially to melange, in an OpenOffice format
[18:13] <slerena> to work over this
[18:13] <slerena> my idea is to priorize first the firefox extension
[18:13] <slerena> For ALL of you, we need you to familiarize with pandora
[18:14] <SantiMunin> i have been playing for a while with it
[18:14] <slerena> probably the best idea is to have a webminar for you with someone of my team
[18:14] <slerena> just to let you learn the basics of pandora
[18:14] <SantiMunin> installing the server
[18:14] <SantiMunin> agents, etc
[18:14] <slerena> you will need it for testing
[18:14] <slerena> Santi: you will need to get events
[18:14] <slerena> Mark: you will need to understand the agent and visualization
[18:14] <SantiMunin> i know :)
[18:14] <mark_h> but you mean the basic of using it or also how it works
[18:15] <slerena> Hareesh: Same as santi, you will need to read events and server status, so will need to know how create data, events, alerts…
[18:15] <Hareesh> i tried to install the server, agent for  windows and run it. but i couldn’t do it
[18:16] <slerena> most important is understand how to use it
[18:16] <slerena> and what kind of data uses (input / output)
[18:16] <mark_h> ok
[18:16] <Hareesh> yeah. of course.
[18:16] <slerena> I recomend to use the virtual appliance
[18:16] <slerena> this is the fastest way to have it running
[18:16] <SantiMunin> for events and alerts
[18:16] <SantiMunin> i think the best is checking the api doc, Hareesh
[18:16] <slerena> you both, santi and hareesh will need to access a server to get data using the web api
[18:16] <slerena> you mark, need a server to display the agent information
[18:17] <Hareesh> yeah. but i coulnd’t find api details
[18:17] <slerena> so you all need to have a running server and understand at least the basic operation
[18:17] <mark_h> Alerts are something that are always set up server side?
[18:17] <slerena> hareess and santi, take a look to the API rest documentation….
[18:17] <slerena> is here…
[18:17] <mark_h> or could an agent create a alert for itself
[18:17] <SantiMunin> i think it’s server side
[18:17] <slerena> http://openideas.info/wiki/index.php?title=Pandora_3.0:Documentation_en:Annex_ExternalAPI
[18:18] <SantiMunin> for example, if a server shutdowns
[18:18] <slerena> yes Mark, it’s internal
[18:18] <slerena> the alerts are generated always by the server
[18:18] <mark_h> thought so just checking
[18:18] <slerena> as a result of a data under or over a value (threshold)
[18:18] <SantiMunin> i already checked it
[18:18] <SantiMunin> seems kind of easy to work with it
[18:18] <slerena> ok santi, let’s step is to have a pandora running and be able to generate events on demand
[18:19] <slerena> as result of data or alerts
[18:19] <slerena> to play with the api and get information from the server
[18:19] <SantiMunin> ok
[18:19] <SantiMunin> i’ll work with that
[18:19] <slerena> thats why i think will be useful to have you people in a webminar
[18:20] <SantiMunin> uhm
[18:20] <SantiMunin> i saw info about that before
[18:20] <SantiMunin> we have to register
[18:21] <SantiMunin> or something?
[18:21] <slerena> the first approach for us HAREESH will be to define an interface to configure the basic parameters to connect the pandora database
[18:21] <slerena> API, I mean
[18:21] <slerena> thats URL and password
[18:21] <mark_h> I run a virtual pandora server and then have pandroid on same network, then if everything works I also test on farscape server
[18:21] <SantiMunin> slerena: excuse me, you mean this courses? http://pandorafms.com/Home/Home/index.php?sec=services&sec2=training
[18:21] <Hareesh> yeah.
[18:21] <slerena> no santi
[18:22] <slerena> eeeh, yes. that ones are the “official” but we can arrange something special for you
[18:22] <SantiMunin> nice
[18:22] <SantiMunin> i’ll appreciate it
[18:22] <slerena> we need to setup a day for you
[18:22] <mark_h> I signed up for a official one in may I think
[18:22] <slerena> we can do it next week or the next one
[18:22] <slerena> out of the official calendar
[18:23] <slerena> and mark, yes, you can have the android agent in the same network of the server
[18:23] <SantiMunin> ok, i’ll send you an email after and we talk
[18:23] <slerena> here is holiday next tuesday and wednesday
[18:23] <mark_h> I know I was just stating how I´ve been working ;)
[18:24] <slerena> anyway thats optional
[18:24] <slerena> if you think you can manage by yourselves, thats fine ! :)
[18:24] <SantiMunin> slerena: ok, we can meet next friday, anyway we can discuss this on private
[18:24] <slerena> but take in mind, you NEED to understand the app, as “app” not as “development” only
[18:25] <slerena> pandora is huge
[18:25] <slerena> and if you try to think in pandora as “code” only, will be more difficult
[18:25] <SantiMunin> i can work for a while this week with pandora, maybe i wont have to take your time teaching me
[18:25] <slerena> OK
[18:25] <slerena> so, next steps.
[18:25] <slerena> 1. Mail with your mentors about the proposal to have it clear.
[18:25] <SantiMunin> i only understand one kind of code, and it’s android’s event viewer :P
[18:26] <slerena> 2. “play” with pandora, and tell me if you need a small online training
[18:26] <Hareesh> I will cum up with the idea for interface to configure once i have gone through the API detaisl
[18:26] <Hareesh> details*
[18:26] <slerena> (ok hareesh)
[18:26] <slerena> 3. Take in mind deadline for begin coding is 21 may
[18:27] <slerena> BEFORE that date we need to focus the contents of the projects and know something about pandora
[18:27] <slerena> what do you think about the plan, are you ok ?
[18:27] <mark_h> sounds good
[18:27] <SantiMunin> i’m ok too
[18:28] <SantiMunin> i tought something like that
[18:28] <Hareesh> yeah. sounds good. but will you be able to reply for the doubts we get in the process of discovering pandora
[18:29] <Hareesh> because there are two holidays there. but those will be the dates I will spend more into this.
[18:29] <Hareesh> :)
[18:29] <slerena> Try to use also the forum and the development list
[18:29] <Hareesh> yeah. sure. :)
[18:29] <slerena> because are lot’s of people who actually can help you with the process of learning pandora
[18:30] <slerena> Forums at openideas.info/smf
[18:30] <SantiMunin> uhm
[18:30] <SantiMunin> i have a doubt about it
[18:30] <slerena> And development list, where you’re already subscribed
[18:30] <slerena> tell me
[18:30] <SantiMunin> i mean if i want to learn pandora
[18:30] <SantiMunin> as an user
[18:30] <SantiMunin> i should post
[18:30] <SantiMunin> in forum
[18:30] <SantiMunin> or mail list?
[18:30] <slerena> both
[18:30] <slerena> forum have MORE people
[18:30] <SantiMunin> and,  in mail list, isn’t better the users list instead of dev?
[18:31] <slerena> but in development mailing list is where are the people who best know it
[18:31] <SantiMunin> i see
[18:31] <slerena> for general help, use the forum, and later for development, use the devel- list
[18:31] <mark_h> good to know
[18:31] <slerena> the public list is more for announcement or people who prefer it instead the forums
[18:32] <SantiMunin> ok
[18:32] <SantiMunin> that’s clear then
[18:33] <SantiMunin> do you want to tell us anything else?
[18:34] <slerena> no
[18:34] <slerena> so we can finish this first meeting :)
[18:34] <slerena> any final questions ?
[18:34] <Hareesh> when we planning to have our next meeting?
[18:34] <SantiMunin> then i would like to thank you again for this opportunity and wish mark_h and Hareesh the best luck
[18:34] <SantiMunin> i have no more questions, thanks :P
[18:34] <mark_h> no, this weekend is when I  had already planned to get stuck in.
[18:35] <slerena> we will see by email
[18:35] <slerena> probably meetings will be individual with each mentor
[18:35] <slerena> ahm
[18:35] <slerena> one last thing
[18:36] <slerena> you probably can start entering time tracking in integria since now
[18:36] <slerena> this will be very helpful to measure the time you’re speding in the project
[18:36] <slerena> useful for track the total effort
[18:36] <slerena> and for each step
[18:36] <slerena> you will see, that not all time is coding
[18:36] <slerena> in fact
[18:37] <slerena> most important time is done before, during and after the coding itself
[18:37] <slerena> like coordination, pre-documentation, testing and “playing”
[18:37] <slerena> asking people, and of course, later, documenting
[18:37] <slerena> so, all of you understand more or less how to enter your time in integria ?
[18:37] <SantiMunin> slerena: I will start working full time since thursday because I have work at university this week
[18:38] <SantiMunin> it’s ok?
[18:38] <mark_h> ok, I may contact Sergio for a quick walkthrough on using integria
[18:38] <SantiMunin> I saw the system but didn’t test it, I’ll ask you if i have any problem
[18:38] <Hareesh> Same here. Will it be ok if we test it and modify the entries we make?
[18:39] <mark_h> integria is very foreign to me
[18:39] <slerena> there is no need to “work fulltime”
[18:39] <Hareesh> I meant, isnt’ it a fixed scheduling to plan or a measure to our work?
[18:39] <slerena> I mean, you can work flexible with time
[18:40] <slerena> while your total effort are consistent with the GSoC “total time needed” for the project
[18:40] <mark_h> is a “work unit” finsihing a set amount or a set time?
[18:40] <slerena> no
[18:40] <slerena> is a daily progress report
[18:40] <mark_h> ok
[18:41] <slerena> We will add more small tasks
[18:41] <slerena> and milestones
[18:42] <slerena> there is no “fixed” planning, except the intermediate tasks we will define Together
[18:42] <slerena> and the intemerdiate milestones
[18:42] <slerena> and of course the Google/GSOC milestones and ending project date
[18:42] <Hareesh> ok
[18:42] <slerena> fine ! :)
[18:42] <mark_h> ok, I will try and practice by logging anything over this weekend in the planning task
[18:43] <slerena> dont worry, I know probably it’s your first time working like this
[18:43] <slerena> but you will see is very “natural”
[18:43] <mark_h> me definitely
[18:43] <Hareesh> yeah. everything seems new for me
[18:43] <Hareesh> not seems, exactly new. ;0
[18:43] <slerena> :)))
[18:43] <mark_h> I’m not worried just confused :)
[18:43] <slerena> more fun !
[18:44] <slerena> so, lets talk next week, ok ?
[18:44] <Hareesh> yeah, its really interesting to work… :D
[18:44] <mark_h> Fine with me
[18:44] <SantiMunin> sure!
[18:44] <Hareesh> yeah, sure. :)
[18:44] <slerena> I will publish this IRC chat in our blog, just to put all work public, ok ?
[18:44] <Hareesh> okay. :)
[18:44] <SantiMunin> okay
[18:45] <mark_h> no problem
[18:45] <slerena> ok, see you next week, have a nice weekend !!
[18:45] <mark_h> same
[18:45] <SantiMunin> you too!
[18:45] <Hareesh> same :)


    Written by:



    One comment
    1. [...] on IRC in anticipation of GSOC starting in less than a month. you can check out the transcript here although I’d advice it’s pretty inane. Lot’s to get stuck into and learn how to [...]

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.